What insurance is accepted at Health Services?
• Health Services will bill most insurance carriers (excluding Medicaid and Medicare).
• We are in-network with several local and regional insurance plans and networks.
• Please be aware many out of state insurance companies have geographic exclusions, which limit coverage for care performed out of state.
• We strongly encourage you to check with your insurance carrier prior to your appointment to make sure Health Services is in-network with your plan.
How to find out if Health Services is in-network?
1. Contact your insurance: The customer service number is located on the back of your card.
2. Ask if the provider you are scheduled to see is in your network.
3. Reference Boise State tax ID 820290701.
4. Ask how your plan will pay for services rendered at Boise State University Health Services and what your member responsibility may be
We strive to assist patients with navigating through insurance questions and concerns, but it is the patient’s responsibility to make sure the provider they are scheduled to see is in-network with their respective plans. Health Services is not responsible for your insurance processing charges out of network.
Referral and Prior Authorization
*As a word of caution some insurance companies require a referral from the primary care provider and/ or prior authorization for certain services such as mental health consultations and therapy or various procedures. You may wish to contact your insurance company to verify your benefits.
Primary Care Physician Referral Check List
1. Letterhead: Referral must be written on Primary Care Physician letterhead.
2. Name of Patient being referred.
3. Name of clinic being referred to: Boise State University Health Services.
4. Referral for: Medical and or Counseling services.
5. Referral date span: While attending Boise State University from (Start date) through end of school or specify dates.
6. Primary Care Physician signature.
Referrals may be faxed to (208) 426-1448 or by email at email@example.com.
Health Services Billing Process
Health Services will bill as any other healthcare facility or providers office. To make this process smooth, make sure to have a copy of the front and back of your insurance card and your student ID to present at the time of your appointment.
1. Health Services will courtesy bill services to your insurance company.
2. Any remaining patient balance after insurance has processed the claim will be transferred to the student’s My Boise State Account. *Please note that Health Services has gone green, therefore you will not receive a mailed invoice.
3. Be prepared to pay your co-pay. Co-pays are expected at the time of service.
Voluntary SHIP (Student Health Insurance Plan)
To help ensure students have access to health insurance that can adequately meet their needs, the University is sponsoring a voluntary Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP). While students will not be required to provide proof of insurance for registration, the University continues to strongly urge students to maintain adequate health insurance. Learn about the benefits and enrollment dates.
If you are an international student, contact International Student Services for information on insurance requirements or visit 4studenthealth.com/boisestate-intl