- Health Services is now offering a comprehensive travel health resource for all Boise State students, faculty and staff, and all dependents: The Traveler’s Health Assessment.
- Services are easy to access and affordable: wait times are significantly lower than other clinics in the community.
- Each year several hundred members of the Boise State University community travel outside of the United States in order to study, teach, perform research or other university related duties. Many more travel for pleasure or recreation, often with family members.
- Staying healthy while traveling is important; an injury or illness can quickly ruin a trip, be life threatening, or cause life-long disability.
- All international travel plans should include a visit to a health care provider. At Health Services, we call this a Traveler’s Health Assessment.
Our Traveler’s Health Assessment includes:
- A review of your personal medical history and advice about how to manage physical or mental health issues in a foreign country.
- A review and update of routine vaccinations that are recommended for safe travel anywhere.
- Administration of recommended special vaccines for certain countries where unusual diseases can occur. (Examples include yellow fever, Japanese encephalitis, and typhoid vaccines).
- Prescriptions for anti-malarial medications, if needed.
- Carry-along prescriptions for treating traveler’s diarrhea.
- Assistance with obtaining extended quantities of personal medications.
- Completion of any required paperwork related to the trip (For example: physical exam forms from an overseas university, medical clearance to travel or participate in international programs, etc.).
Our Traveler’s Health Assessment has been designed and is overseen by our Medical Director, Vincent Serio, MD. Dr. Serio has traveled to over 15 different countries on 5 continents. He has served as the ship’s physician for the Semester at Sea program, and cared for patients in Shell-Mera and Nemonpari, Ecuador. His experience ensures that your Traveler’s Health Assessment is top quality and uniquely designed to meet your individual needs.